Hearing My Baby's Heartbeat at 6 Weeks: The Day Everything Became Too Real


Mother holding a young child on a beach at sunset, sharing a quiet moment by the shoreline.
Photo by Tatiana Syrikova on Pexels

Hearing my baby's heartbeat at six weeks was supposed to be magical. Instead, it made my unexpected pregnancy feel terrifyingly real.

The Long Wait Between the Positive Test and the First Appointment 


The gap between the day you get your first positive on a pregnancy test and the scheduled appointment date, where you can confirm a viable pregnancy, can feel like a blur. Usually, work weeks drag on and on until you’re pretty much convinced you’ve spent a whole month in office and not just a week.

This time, it’s like hours decided to fly by in seconds. 

One second, I was taking one pregnancy test after another (went through almost 10 sticks in a week because I just had to be sure, didn’t I?), and then the next, I was getting ready for the hospital. The taxi ride was stressful to say the least. On one hand, I had a husband who was still trying to convince himself that this is not real, while at the same time looking like he’ll be very disappointed if it wasn’t true.

Mixed signals much?

As if my overstimulated brain needed more.

Waiting for the doctor was excruciating. I don’t really know what I was expecting. We were hoping that I could undergo an ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy. The thing is, I didn’t even know if that was possible on the first ever appointment. 

You see these reels from abroad, and even from other cities in India, where you just go, and the attending doctor does an ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy. But who knows what the protocol would be where I was going. 

I was #1 on the list, so I went in as soon as the gynaecologist arrived. As I said, I didn’t know what I was expecting, but I certainly wasn’t expecting her to just accept my words and prescribe me medicines and advice on lifestyle.

Like…aren’t you supposed to confirm that I’m actually pregnant first?

She did ask me to schedule a USG scan in a week or two, but my husband insisted on whether it could be one that very day. For some reason, our doctor seemed reluctant, but upon his insistence, she finally relented and asked the nurse to check if anyone was available to do the USG.

Getting My First Pregnancy Ultrasound 


Luck was in our favor.

Apparently, there’s only one doctor who does early pregnancy scans in that whole hospital (as we were told later), and he was available that day. We were ushered to the USG room, and honestly, I couldn’t believe this was even happening at all.

Was I really about to get an actual confirmation that I was pregnant?

Husbands weren’t allowed inside the room, so I went in alone, lay down on the bed with my pants down. Kinda uncomfortable, but then I remembered this is just the beginning of it.

Took a deep breath and watched the doctor hash out my particulars. I was asked to sign a consent form before this (apparently that was the norm?), and then the doctor confirmed the date of my last period and details like whether it’s my first pregnancy and all.

He began with a normal abdominal scan. There was a screen right in front of me, so I could see what he was seeing, though I could barely make sense of it. I spotted a black spot, which I later learned was the gestational sac.

The doctor then asked permission to do an intravaginal scan. The thought of it didn’t freak me out, thankfully, because I already knew that was a possibility this early on. I watched the nurse put some lube and a condom on it (which, yeah, safety and all, but why does it have to be kinda weird?) and then the doctor inserted that intravaginal rod inside me. In the age of reels and instant information, you kind of know what you’re going to be subjected to, but it still kinda catches you off guard sometimes.

After some poking around and twisting here and there, we had a clearer picture. But what was I looking at? There was barely a circle on the screen. And in it…another circle? I didn’t even know what I was looking at.

It was barely noticeable. 

The doctor tried to explain using a fish and aquarium analogy, like I was a 12-year-old kid. But anyway, I nodded my head before ultimately getting distracted by a more important thing.

The heartbeat.

Hearing the Heartbeat for the First Time 


duk duk…duk duk…duk duk..

It was loud. It was the only sound you could hear in the room. Not a whisper from the nurse, the doctor, or even me. Just that sound, that felt like a horse running with weights on its legs. It was a heavy sound, maybe because of all the implications it carried with it.

I don’t know what I was actually feeling in that moment. Was I happy? Was I anxious? Perhaps it was a bit of every damn feeling in the world. I became sort of numb. 

Mostly, I couldn’t believe there was another tiny heartbeat in my body.

Completely surreal. Almost like I’m starring in an Aliens film. Honestly, it’s just so weird!! How is a human body capable of making another human inside??? How does it even fit?

Was I panicking? If you saw me yourself, outwardly, I was fine. Smiling, even. Because wow, I was pregnant. You’re supposed to smile and be happy about that, right?

It’s not like my husband and I are in a horrible financial situation. Yes, the job market is shit, and we might not even have our jobs in a few years because of AI, and we have to maintain EMIs for a new house we bought just a few months back…but at least we have a roof over our heads and food to eat.

I needed to process things. But as soon as we got the scan report, we went to my parents’ house first, and then his to break the news. 

Too soon. It was all too soon.

They knew now.

We couldn’t go back from this even if we wanted to.

There was a tiny heartbeat inside me. It measured 110 bpm at just over six weeks, and the doctor asked me to return for another scan three weeks later to monitor how things were progressing. 

It all felt too real.

Why I Didn't Feel Like a Mother Yet 


Real. Everything was real. You know, you only hear about pregnancy from others, and it always remains such a vague concept to you unless you’re smack in the middle of it. No one prepares you mentally for an unexpected pregnancy.

No one prepares you for saying goodbye to the life you had gotten used to for so many years.

My husband asked me something that still gets to me.

“So, did you get those motherly feelings when you saw the heartbeat? It must have been magical.”

Maybe he has read too many romance books or seen too many reels. Because I couldn’t answer him without sounding like a jerk.

No, I did not feel like a mother.

It just felt weird. 

How could I, before I even hit the big THREE-O, become a mother? A mom? Even as I write this sitting at 15 weeks, the concept of being a mother feels scary to me. 

Can you just be a mother by winging this shit? Surely not. How do you know when you’re a mother? The moment you conceive? The moment you give birth? Does having a child truly make you a mother?

I do not have the answer to these questions.

If you're newly pregnant and wondering why hearing the heartbeat didn't instantly make you feel like a mother, you're not alone.

At six weeks pregnant, all I felt was overwhelmed.

Maybe motherhood isn't a single moment.

Maybe it happens gradually, one heartbeat, one appointment, and one terrifying realization at a time.

Comments